Friday, July 11, 2014

WAR OF THE MISSILES AT HOME IN ISRAEL VS. BATTLE OF THE BULGE IN HONESDALE PA.

How crazy is life.  Who would have thought that last week's constant, overwhelming feeling of sadness would so quickly be replaced by this week's sick, petrified feeling in the pit of my stomach. Being so far from home and family during a crisis is exactly what I was afraid of when we decided to come here to work for the summer.... I think a good chunk of my salary is going to be lost to the daily overseas phone calls to my kids and my mother.  And through all the hourly bulletins and news flashes of where sirens are wailing, where there was a fall or a blast, where the Iron Dome shot one down, etc., we here are busy breaking our 1700 eggs, draining our endless mountains of pasta, and baking off tray after tray after tray of cornbread (from a mix, of course- don't get excited). The show must go on. Every quarter of an hour or so, one of the workers or Israeli volunteers looks at his/her cellphone for the umpteenth time, only this time their eyes pop open really wide and everyone watching them jumps and we all shout - "What! Where? How many? What? 30 of them? What? Haifa??"  It's so surreal. One of the best things I saw this week was an interview with British journalist Melanie Phillips (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOCjtHagaTw    for those who missed it- intro is in Hebrew but the interview is in English)

This week was dominated by concern in the kitchen about an impending inspection from the state health department inspectors. Although I keep telling them that after dealing for 15 years with Dena, Zina, Vera, and Olga from the Jerusalem city health department (Chapter 10 in my book), this should be easy as pie.  I hope. I'm certainly interested to see how the bureaucracy works in this part of the world and if it's any more sane than at our end.

What could be wilder than 750 campers in a wooden dining hall (all singing, thumping, dancing, and banging echoes like crazy- as if it weren't loud enough to begin with) for a regular suppertime meal? Try- 750 campers in a wooden dining hall that just finished dinner, with a sudden turn of weather and the camp head screaming out- shut all the doors, all councellors account for every single kid, nobody go anywhere not even the bathroom, till further notice from me ( me and Marvin are thinking " kidnapping? bomb threat? what could it be?".)  Well, it was a sudden tornado warning! And they turned on the big screens and had a full blast sing a long for an HOUR till the warning passed! And- we were STUCK in there with them! (and people keep asking are we having fun at camp...)

I noticed that a few of the parents of families that are here either as nurses, teachers, rabbis, lifeguards, whatever are interested in healthier options for food, so I started making these marinated toasted cubes of tofu.  First everyone thought I was nuts, but soon they were asking for some tofu at every lunch.  And now I make it and offer it all the time! Ha. Next week I'll be making them my quinoa salad, and we'll see what happens.

Sunday is visiting day, and I see the weather report includes some thunderstorms... So what could be more fun than 1250 people in a wooden dining hall? I'm thinking- 1250 people with the parents and siblings of those 750 campers... do the math. Report to follow next week...
Best wishes for a Shabbat Shalom and peace and quiet in Israel...

No comments:

Post a Comment