Saturday, March 1, 2014

THE SEARCH FOR THE BEST KOSHER TANDOORI CHICKEN

An Indian "tandoor" is an extra-hot ceramic oven that is used to bake the amazing Indian breads and specialties such as chicken tandoori and chicken tikka.
Those are my favourite two chicken dishes that I remember tasting at Kohinoor, Jerusalem's kosher Indian restaurant, and my only exposure to Indian food (other than one sojourn to an Indian vegetarian place on Lexington Avenue in New York) until now- that is, until our upcoming November trip to India!
Tandoori Chicken is originally a Punjab dish, while the delicious bits of boneless chicken on skewers called Chicken Tikka is originally Mughli (remember The Jungle Book?).  I am obsessed now with trying these at home, but both are classically made with yogurt.
I'm going to try to substitute- either soy milk, or maybe Tofutti sour cream.
Any of you have any experience with this? Anyone have an amazing recipe to share with us?
This week will be "Indian chicken" week at my house, including a trip to Kohinoor, I hope.
My mom will probably go crazy from all the Indian spice smells at my house...
I expect an intoxicating week!

I'M WAITING FOR MORE BOOKINGS FOR MY INDIA TRIP-
LORI RAPP'S KITCHEN GOES TO INDIA!
Write or call me and I'll send you the details!
http://redbeardsocialmedia.com/Clients/Rapp/Itinerary.pdf
Shavua tov and Chodesh tov,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment